What We Do
Disability Action in Islington provides a range of high quality, accessible services for disabled people who live and work in Islington. Please see below for more details.
Our Charity's purposes are:
- To enable disabled people in, but not limited to, the London Borough of Islington with a physical, sensory, cognitive or hidden impairment to achieve and maintain choice, control and independence in their lives;
- To enable disabled people with a physical, sensory, cognitive or hidden impairment to access services, entitlements and opportunities;
- To promote a more accessible and inclusive environment for disabled people with a physical, sensory, cognitive or hidden impairment and promote the understanding of the social model of disability; and
- To effectively represent the views, needs and interests of disabled people with a physical, sensory, cognitive or hidden impairment.
We also facilitate a number of committees which involve disabled people contributing to local service improvement.
(Private and public sector organisations can learn more about our training and consultancy services).
Ajani Programme (Holistic Wellbeing Project)
Starting Monday 8th May 2017
- Would you like access to fitness advice from a qualified Personal Trainer?
- Would you like better Nutrition knowledge and free advice?
- Would you like help with sleep issues
- Would your choice of social events, social media skill sharing, and volunteer opportunities be of use?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, then our FREE exciting pilot might be able to help.
Healthy Minds Healthy Bods, in partnership with Disability Action in Islington, will be running a unique and exciting program. The sessions will address these issues in a safe environment, with each attendee working with organisers to develop their personal goals and action plans. All sessions will be inclusive and access, but it is strong recommended that you see your GP for a FREE Health-Check before beginning the sessions.
Monday afternoons for 9 weeks from 8th May 2017
Unit 3 Marquess Estate, St Paul's Rd, London, N1 2SY.
We expect this to be popular, so please contact DAI as soon as possible and also if you have access issues:
Phone - 020 7354 8925
Thursdays 10a.m. to 1p.m. @ DAI Offices
- General Advice, Sign Posting and Referrals
- Covering Issues such as Local Services, Social Care and Housing.
- Basic Form Filling (NOT including Benefits or Housing Applications)
- Appointment booking/referrals for Local Councillor Surgery at DAI. (Councillor Janet Burgess - Executive Member for Health and Wellbeing, Deputy Leader Islington Council)
For further details contact:
Email - email@example.com
Phone - 020 7354 8925
This service provides information and advice to disabled people who live or work in Islington.
Disability Action in Islington run an independent Personal Budgets Brokerage & Advocacy Support Service called IBASS. We provide local people taking up Personal Budgets with independent advice, support and advocacy.
This is a project which supports local disabled people to come together and do the things they want to do in their community.
BSL interpreted Drop in sessions are held on the first Wednesday of every month for local Deaf people who are interested in improving access to local services for Deaf people.
The Islington Disability Network produces a quarterly newsletter and send out regular email bulletins on events, opportunities and news. They also recruit members to take part in consultations about local services, Mystery Shopping Exercises and campaigns.
The Disability Reference Group is a group which monitors and reviews the council's progress on their Disability Equality Scheme (DES) and Action Plan.
The Disability Panel is a group that works with housing management to improve disabled residents experience of council housing.
Disability Action in Islington hosts a debt advice service specifically for D/deaf and disabled people or parents/carers of disabled children living in Islington. This service is provided by Camden Citizens Advice Bureau.